TMJ Treatment From Your Dentist in Hemet
If you regularly wake up with jaw, ear, and/or neck pain, you may be experiencing temporomandibular joint (TMJ/TMD) issues. The joint that connects your jaw and skull, it’s what enables you to open and close your mouth and move your jaw back, forward and from side to side. When issues develop in the muscles or joints in and around the TMJ/TMD, the result can be incredibly painful.
What causes TMJ?
An injury to the area or clenching or grinding your teeth can lead to TMJ/TMD, though it can also develop as a result of arthritis or misaligned teeth. People who experience high levels of stress are also known to experience the condition as they often (unconsciously) end up clenching or grinding their teeth.
How should TMJ/TMD be treated?
While many TMJ/TMD disorders may rectify with a variety of at-home relaxation, stretching, massage, and/or dietary approaches, more serious conditions may require one or more of the following treatment approaches:
- Medication to relieve pain
- Braces to rectify bite issues
- Botox injections for pain relief
- A nightguard to eradicate teeth grinding or clenching
- Surgery to correct severe cases
- A physiotherapist referral
If I require a TMJ/TMD nightguard, what’s involved with having one created?
Following an examination of your teeth, gums, and jaw, should you require an oral appliance to prevent grinding or clenching, we’ll take a mold of your mouth and have a professional custom-fitted nightguard created to protect your upper and lower teeth while you sleep.
Have additional questions about this condition and how a dental appliance might benefit you? Call us today!
Call Our Team About TMJ Treatment Today
- Eradicate pain in your jaw, ears, and neck
- Wake up without headaches and/or pressure behind your eyes
- Prevent teeth grinding and clenching while you sleep
- Protect your teeth from short- and long-term damage with an orthotic device
- Prioritize your teeth and gums health while treating TMJ/TMD symptoms!